Home » , , , , , , » Stuck In My Skull 402: Songs Revisited, Part 3 -- "Resistance (Muse) [A Cappella]"

Stuck In My Skull 402: Songs Revisited, Part 3 -- "Resistance (Muse) [A Cappella]"

Written By Christopher Audiophile on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 | 4/16/2013 09:19:00 AM

Songs Revisited, Part 3 || Song: "Resistance [A Cappella]" || Original Artist: Muse || Covering Artist: Voices in Your Head || http://youtu.be/fzuQ9-KlRDE ||
Comments: Hello and welcome back to Songs Revisited Week on Stuck In My Skull! When I write entries with covers of songs, I always have this debate about how I should write titles and taglines for the entries. In this case, I decided to follow the title used in the video accompanying this song for the tagline, and split the information in the entry into Covering Artist and Original Artist. Originally featured in Entry 2, this song is the a cappella cover of the Muse song "Resistance" as performed by the group Voices in Your Head, the a cappella group of the University of Chicago. Perhaps I simply haven't had enough exposure to a cappella groups and performances, but I found myself somewhat surprised to find that the performers not only covered the vocals but also the instrumentation of the song. This includes not only keyboard or guitar parts, but one of the longest and most competent beat-boxing performances I've ever seen to cover the percussive elements of the song. If I hadn't seen the video to this song, I frankly would not have believed that a group of human beings was capable of producing the vast and staggering array of sounds used in this song. The vocal 'instrumentation' of this song is so impressive that it almost outshines the actual vocals of the song, which are impressive. I mean, forget Glee covers, this is insane. Rather than try to imitate Muse vocalist Matt Bellamy's signature falsetto vocals, Voices in Your Head doesn't even try. Instead, they focus on the emotive, room-filling tones of their own lead vocalist (whose name I do not know), and back it with their jaw-dropping supporting vocals. Their supporting vocals are so strong that I feel as though they could probably carry the song alone, on their own power. This song redefined my notions of a cappella music, and I can honestly say this is one of my all-time favourite covers. To top it all off, Voices in Your Head filmed a truly excellent music video to the song, in which the quality shines brighter than I thought college students would be capable of producing. You should definitely check this song and video out.
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment