Home » , , , , » Stuck In My Skull 349 -- "Love Lockdown"

Stuck In My Skull 349 -- "Love Lockdown"

Written By Christopher Audiophile on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 | 12/19/2012 03:57:00 AM

Song: "Love Lockdown" || Artist: Kanye West || http://youtu.be/HZwMX6T5Jhk ||

[youtube http://youtu.be/HZwMX6T5Jhk]

Comments: Alright, I'm going to do my level best to not rephrase and rehash what every music critic and has already said about this song -- especially since they said it years ago then this song came out, and I'm behind the curve. Some things, though, can't be avoided. Putting on my Pitchfork hat, I have to say that the tribal drums aesthetic is excellent, as is the minimalist beat. Apparently this album (808s and Heartbreak -- thanks Amanda for giving it to me!) is the first album in which Kanye really uses Auto-Tune. That surprised me to discover, since he could write the book on the proper and tasteful application of that oft-lampooned technology. He uses it to do some tasteful shifts of tone in the song, but more interestingly, he uses Auto-Tune to add distortion to his voice in a really excellent way for a really nice effect that's in that just-right spot between obvious and subtle. The song is lyrically a bit cliched, but he puts a nice spin on things by actually attempting to deal with his relationship failures. More importantly, his attempt to not drag everyone else down and "...keep a secret code / So everybody else don't have to know" is really interesting. It gives it the realism that this biographical track deserves, and it really speaks to me.

As to the video, I think the tribal aspect might be a tad overdone, but it's not bad. I would legitimately prefer to see more Kanye and fewer warriors in the video, but that's personal preference for emotion over bravado. The part that actually grabbed me (once I got over the dancing) was the spaceship (is that a spaceship?) at around 2:00. Anyway. Song is excellent. Video is excellent. If you haven't seen/heard it lately, give it a go. Enjoy!
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment