Home » , , , » AMANDA-- "MAYBE I'M AMAZED" by JEM

AMANDA-- "MAYBE I'M AMAZED" by JEM

Written By amandathepanda on Friday, August 9, 2013 | 8/09/2013 09:12:00 AM

Happy Friday! Usually I try to share something fun or upbeat to get y'all pumped up for the weekend but today I decided to change things up. The O.C., which aired on Fox from 2003-2007, recently celebrated it's tenth anniversary. In light of that, I've seen numerous articles describing the show's cultural impact in terms of its characters, storytelling, and, of course, music. Part of what made it such a phenonmenon at the time was the hip soundtrack, which was intended to be its own character essentially. The O.C. offered a unique selection of both indie and alternative music from bands such as Modest Modest, The Killers, and Imogen Heap, many of whom made guest appearances on the show. Today's pick, Jem's cover of Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed," is one example of how the careful pairing of music and television can have a lasting impression on the hearts and minds of viewers, myself included. The Welsh artist performs her rendition live in an episode at the end of season two where a wedding is taking place. It should be a happy occasion but as it were the  two main lovers about to separate and so the use of a love song here really plays up sadness. I  thinkthe change of the pronouns from the original (now told from the perspective of a woman) and banjo works really well with the vocals here. Even without any knowledge of the O.C., it makes for a beautiful cover. All these years later and I still remember this song in the context of the show and how it made me feel.  Happy tenth anniversary to one of the shows of my youth! Thanks for all the wonderful memories and music!  Enjoy and have a great weekend! 

Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment