Home » , , , , , » Stuck In My Skull 431 -- "Same Love"

Stuck In My Skull 431 -- "Same Love"

Written By Christopher Audiophile on Thursday, June 27, 2013 | 6/27/2013 06:00:00 AM

Song: "Same Love" || Artist: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat Mary Lambert || http://youtu.be/hlVBg7_08n0 ||
Comments: Good morning, everyone! In celebration of the landmark decision by the US Supreme Court yesterday, I bring you today's song, "Same Love." Truly, this song is beautiful -- its message is powerful, and the song that carries it is a more-than-fitting vehicle. Brass and a subtle drum section propel this tune through four-ish minutes (4:09 for the radio edit, according to Wikipedia) and into my head for hours. By the way, I love how wikipedia is calling this genre 'conscious hip hop.' I wasn't aware there was such a term, and while I'm not sure that such a term needs to exist, it certainly amuses me that it does. Ryan Lewis was responsible for producing this song, which (to the surprise of nobody) perfectly accents and complements the vocals provided by both of the other artists in the track. Macklemore's verses are spoken quickly and clearly, in a style that's closer to spoken word than rap and makes this song surprisingly user-friendly to all comers. My mother -- a long-time oldies listener with little interest in modern music --told me that she found this song to be even easier to understand that Adele. I particularly like his free-flowing and almost free-verse style in this piece. Don't get me wrong, I love "Thriftshop" and "Can't Hold Us" as much or perhaps even more than the next person, but seeing this change in style is a refreshing cool breeze on a hot day. The sung verses in this track are provided by singer-songwriter Mary Lambert, no relation to Adam Lambert. I have to say, I like her voice, and will be looking up more of her in the future. This song used to leave me hopeful, but after the SCOTUS ruled against Prop. 8 and DOMA yesterday, more than a little bit of that hope has been replaced by a feeling of warm satisfaction. This is one of those songs that both opens my eyes, and leaves me feeling good to be alive. Enjoy it, folks.
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment