Home » , , , , , » Stuck In My Skull 432 -- "Silence"

Stuck In My Skull 432 -- "Silence"

Written By Christopher Audiophile on Monday, July 1, 2013 | 7/01/2013 06:05:00 AM

Song: "Silence" || Original Artist: Delirium || Remixed By: Mt. Eden || http://youtu.be/Nymjfq2kXnI ||
Comments: Good morning, and happy Monday everyone! Today, I bring you a song that you've almost certainly heard some version of, if for no other reason than the fact that so many versions exist. Delirium's trance anthem "Silence" is one of the most remixed songs I know, and has one of the most confused lineages I've seen. In fact, I think only the track "Daddy DJ" and its many descendants and versions has a more jumbled heritage. This in mind, allow me to set some things straight (the Wikipedia article gives some information, but not necessarily enough). The original artist of the track is the trance group Delirium. The vocals were provided by co-writer and singer Sarah McLachlan. While her vocals certainly make the song, it's not her song. The song is "Silence", and the artist is Delirium featuring Sarah McLachlan. That being said, everyone has done a remix. Tiesto, Paul Oakenfold, and Above and Beyond have all remixed this thing. In fact, this song first got radio play when the remix by Airscape hit Canadian airwaves. As a matter of fact, the music video for the song is set to that remix, and not the original version. So are you really surprised there exists a dubstep mix? I'm not. I am surprised that I like it this much. Mt. Eden is one of the quiet giants of dubstep, and this New Zealand duo has put together an excellent track. The pulsating* synths perfectly accent Sarah McLachlan's ethereal vocals without overpowering them. The track retains its trance-like qualities to produce a surprisingly relaxing beat that I don't usually hear with such heavy bass. All said, this track is great -- a prime example of how to remix. Also, am I the only one who thinks that the background image for the 'video' looks really cool? I'd love to have it as a desktop background. Enjoy the song!

*I will not say "wubbing," but that would probably be a good descriptor here.

Update 7/21/2014: Download available on Mt. Eden's Soundcloud page
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment