Home » , , , , » Stuck In My Skull 462 -- "Valentine" [Symphonic Metal Week III]

Stuck In My Skull 462 -- "Valentine" [Symphonic Metal Week III]

Written By Christopher Audiophile on Monday, October 7, 2013 | 10/07/2013 07:21:00 AM

Symphonic Metal Week III || Song: "Valentine" || Artist: Xandria || http://youtu.be/Rx9OoLwiAho ||
Comments: Good morning everyone! Sorry about the lack of posting last week. I was really, really sick (for the second time this cold season, no less!) and just couldn't manage to get anything done. To make up for it, I'm going to finish off Symphonic Metal Week III this week -- hopefully with a bonus post or two -- and post some entries from the one and only DJ Abso-Newt-ly. So hold on, folks, this week is gonna be a wild ride!
Speaking of wild rides, let's talk about Xandria. I'm going to head off the inevitable comparisons between vocalist Manuela Kraller and former Nightwish vocalist Tarja Turunen by paraphrasing a youtube comment. (Wait, what! Yes, really!) They're both female soprano singers with an operatic style providing vocals for a symphonic metal band. But they are not the same, and while every once in awhile an eerily-similar note creeps through, they generally don't even sound close. Moving on. Vocals aside, I really enjoy the sort of 'hard rock' guitar riffs I hear in the song, which is ever so slightly unusual for a symphonic metal band. And to head off the obligatory Nightwish comparisons I suspect are coming -- Xandria is much more guitar and drum focused, whereas Nightwish loves to play up the keyboards and symphonic instrumentation. Xandria isn't old Nightwish, but Xandria is amazing. Whether or not you liked old Nightwish, I think you'll like Xandria. Give it a listen!
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment